dysonrules - Commander of Food

dysonrules - Commander of Food
Chocolate is life.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

RECIPE POST #1

FOOD IS AWESOME. I cook almost every day and I love to cook, so I'll be posting my best easy/fast recipes here for everyone to enjoy. Most of them contain meat because I am carnivorous. I'll add veggie modifications if I have them. Today's recipe:

GRILLED TERIYAKI PORK CHOPS

4 Pork Chops (I prefer boneless loin chops, but any sort will work)
Salt and Pepper
1 large onion
1 can pineapple slices (I've never tried it with fresh pineapple, but YUM)
1 bell pepper (capsicum)
1 bottle Teriyaki Sauce
Aluminum foil

Preheat your grill, or set your oven to about 400 F. I usually start some white rice about the time I turn on the grill, because it takes 20 minutes and should be done about the same time as the pork chops.

Tear off a large piece of foil, probably 12 inches by 12 inches or so. Feel free to use two pieces to be sure of keeping the juice inside.

Place one chop in the center of the foil. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper according to your preference. I don't use much salt and I adore pepper, so I tend to load it up with pepper.

Slice the onion into circles and place one circle atop the chop. I usually go with about 1/8 inch slices, unless it's a sweet onion and then I make it a bit thicker because I like the flavour. So the same with the bell pepper, adding a slice atop the onion. Take out a pineapple slice (or two!) and toss those atop the chop/onion/pepper stack.

Fold up the sides of the foil a bit to make a bowl because next you'll sprinkle on the teriyaki sauce. I use this amazing miso-flavoured one, but any sort will work. I use about a tablespoon of the teriyaki sauce.

Next, seal up the foil to make a nice pouch around the chop and keep everything from leaking out. Repeat this process until all of your chops are packaged up, then go and put them on a medium hot grill.

Leave them out there for 15 minutes. It should take about the same amount of time in the oven, perhaps five minutes longer to be safe. I've not tried it in the oven, so you might try it for 15 and then cut one open to see if it's fully cooked.

Take them off the grill, slap some white rice onto a dish, and carefully tear open the foil - watch the steam! Pour the juice over the rice and top with the pork chop veggie stack. With rice, this makes a full meal because you've got meat, carbs, veggies, and fruit. It's good with a side salad, too.

This is one of the healthiest recipes I own, plus it's very quick - 30 minutes tops, and is excellent for hot summer days. You can also try different sauces - I plan to try it with a Thai peanut sauce one day. I think chicken breast would be an excellent substitute for the pork, though you might reduce the cooking time by 3 minutes or so. EXPERIMENT! Remember, recipes are only guidelines.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! Can't wait try it. Thanks

    Peace,
    Bubba

    ReplyDelete